Saturday, November 7, 2015

Age

"You look your age but you don't act like it."

Just a sentence directed at me by one of our younger employees this week. It falls into the category where people ask me how old I am and I answer that I don't know. And it is true. I don't know how old I am unless I do the math. And once I've done that I forget again until the next one asks me and I have to do the math again or have them do the math.

It also gets misinterpreted when I get asked and answer with: "Who cares?" or "Your guess is as good as mine." People start to think that it is a touchy subject for me or that I'm fooling with them but in all honesty: I really don't care.

And the same applies for birthdays or the celebration of those. I bow to social convention I'll admit. But not for myself. My own birthday I only 'celebrate' for my parents. And those of others because I've experienced people feel hurt when I do not give their special day some attention. And I don't want my friends to feel that way. But I, not often anyways, don't congratulate. I wish that they enjoy their day most likely. And I'm 100% percent behind that sentiment.

I just don't understand why making it through a calendar year is an achievement and why age therefor is something to care about. I know there are people who struggle on a daily basis and I don't want to sound cold but 99.9% of the people do not. Yet all celebrate as if they did.
Someone once said that it wasn't surviving the year that was celebrated but that it was being born that was. My response: "And what did you do to make that happen?"

Anniversaries and achieving personal goals are an entirely different matter in case you were wondering.

But back to the age thing. Had I written about how I thought a 40 or 50 year old must feel when I was young I would have to bow my head in shame. I don't feel anything like how I perceived a 40-50 year old should feel. Sure my body comes close to what I thought it would be but that is largely my own doing. After abusing it for twenty years and not really taking care of it the following twenty you can hardly expect to have the spring in your step like you had back in the day. But my mind and outlook on life are totally not what I expected for a 40-50 year old.

Age doesn't matter. You matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment